Benefits of Curious and Kind Education
Why a Forest School and Agile Learning Center combined?
In the USA, there are 1000s of “Forest Schools” and an equal growing number of Agile Learning Centers (ALCs). This movement stems from a desire for our children to have healthy holistic educational opportunities. The approaches allows for extended periods of self directed play/learning which naturally includes exploration and risk-taking. This type of learning results in strong bodies, balanced minds & an abundance of confidence.
The child is made of one hundred. The child has a hundred languages, a hundred hands, a hundred thoughts, a hundred ways of thinking, of playing, of speaking.
Excerpt from 100 Languages
by Loris Malaguzzi of the Reggio Emilia Approach
What are the benefits of this type of education?
Curious and Kind Education is designed to benefit the child’s entire being by honoring learning that emerges naturally. In this way, children are seen and loved. Self directed learning keeps the passion for learning alive!
Heath and wellness
- Mental health: improves sleep and increases happiness
- Physical bodies: gross and fine motor skills, proprioceptive- muscle and bone development and strength, digestion and immune benefits
- Social: social awareness, self management/regulation, confidence
- Emotional: caring, communication, collaboration and conflict resolution
- Higher Order Thinking: problem solving, critical thinking, creativity
- Community: understanding others, empathy, responsible decision making
Play Schemas (for young learners) set the stage for cognition
- Foundation for abstract thinking which leads to early literacy, numeracy, reasoning, scientific thinking and more
We must give childhood back to children. Children must be allowed to follow their inborn drives to play and explore so that they can grow into intellectually, socially, emotionally, and physically strong and resilient adults.
Dr. Peter Gray
Benefits are realized through...
Close intentional observation of children
Freedom for messy, free play outside
Coaching and guiding when asked or the need is observed
This type of learning is adventurous, joyful and supports wellbeing! We know that unstructured uninterrupted play keeps children’s natural curiosity flowing as children experiment and learning is play and play is learning. All the while children are seen and loved for who they are!